UPPCO seeks an experienced Director of Finance and Accounting to join our team in Marquette, Michigan. The Director of Finance and Accounting is a key leadership position interacting with and supporting all functions and levels of the organization. This position will be responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and/or executing all utility accounting, reporting and financial planning activities. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and requires someone able to manage multiple and differing tasks of varying priorities simultaneously through a team of two direct reports (Manager of Accounting and Manager of Financial Planning & Analysis) along with six indirect reports.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DIRECTOR OF FINANCE & ACCOUNTING.
- Hiring, coaching and development of accounting and finance staff.
- Maintaining close collaborative relationships throughout UPPCO.
- Timely and accurate monthly closing of accounting systems.
- Monthly, quarterly and annual publication of GAAP and FERC financial statements.
- Publication of monthly management reporting package including revenue, operating expense, and capital expenditure variance analysis as well as tracking and explanation of key company operational and financial metrics.
- Preparation of monthly financial section of the Board of Directors presentation.
- Monitor, maintain and coordinate enhancements to the company’s enterprise system/SAP from a finance, accounting and reporting perspective.
- Research/evaluate new regulatory accounting & reporting rules/regulations and oversight of state and federal regulatory agency compliance for accounting and financial reporting matters.
- Coordinate state, federal and jurisdictional analysis and reporting filed with FERC and state commissions including FERC Form 1 & 2 and other required reports.
- Oversee all phases of the planning cycle including periodic forecasts, annual operating plan and longer-term financial plan.
- Annual operating budget development and analysis (revenue forecast, departmental budgets, balance sheet, working capital requirements, capital spending and cash flow forecasts).
- Maintain cash and debt positions through close monitoring and cash flow projections.
- Complete all debt covenant reporting.
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Competitive salary, based on your knowledge and experience, along with a comprehensive benefit package. Relocation assistance available.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS OUR DIRECTOR OF FINANCE & ACCOUNTING.
- Degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or related field desired; MBA a plus.
- 10 years of utility related experience in general financial accounting and reporting.
- In-depth knowledge of FASB/GAAP and legal and business principles.
- Working knowledge of utility accounting industry & application of FERC uniform system of accounts.
- Knowledge of federal and state tax issues and their relevance and impact to regulated utilities, including knowledge of tax deferrals and tax provisions.
- Ability to effectively communicate to a variety of audiences and analyze complex business scenarios.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, Vlookups).
- Strong ERP/Business Information Warehouse/Data Query experience.
- Knowledge of PowerTax and PowerPlan tax software, a bonus.
- Working knowledge of SAP or similar software and business technology applications, a bonus.
- Experience with acquisition integration, a bonus.
INTERESTED? Apply online below.